Twitter has fast become a marketing trend with many famous people also logging on to share a bit of their own world. It is a simple tool that helps connect businesses more meaningfully with the right audience at the right time. Businesses of all shapes and sizes are now able to stay connected to their customers. It can be used to quickly share information with people interested in your company, gather real-time market intelligence and feedback and build relationships with customers.
How to set up and use Twitter:
Step One: Go to www.twitter.com and click on the 'join' button on the right hand side
Step Two: You will then come to a page where you type in name, password etc and a few other key bits of information. You will be asked for a username. It is probably best to use something related to your business. Your direct URL will then be shown ashttp://twitter.com/yourbusinessname for the future .
Step Three: Once logged in you will see a status box where you can write your 140 page update. You will also see a tab in the right hand corner that is 'profile’ here you can add a picture or logo and update what you do. There is also a tab to ‘find people’ and various ways to do so. 'join’ button on the right hand side.
Tip: Using a free platform like Tweetdeck or Hootsuite will make following Twitter easier to use and more manageable.
- Tweet - the message you write using your 140 characters—it’s what twitter is all about!
- RT – Retweet – copy and retweet another person’s update
- @USERNAME – Simply start a message with @username of the person you want to connect to in your update.
- DM – Direct Message is a private message channel through Twitter.
- Hashtag # - People create ‘hashtags’ to show what a tweet is about, then when somebody searches for that hashtag, they will find all the related messages.